Since August 2017
Professor (professeur ordinaire), Chair of Analytic Philosophy, Department of Philosophy, University of Geneva.
Main areas of interest
Metaphysics, philosophical logic, philosophy of language, philosophy of science, epistemology, philosophy of mind.
Doctorat ès Lettres (PhD) – University of Geneva.
Dissertation: Existential Dependence and Cognate Notions. Supervisor: Kevin Mulligan.
Diplôme d’études supérieures – University of Geneva.
Mémoire: Une analyse de “La géométrie dans le monde sensible” de Jean Nicod. Supervisor: Kevin Mulligan.
Licence ès lettres (MA) – University of Geneva.
Mémoire: Sur la géométrie de l’espace visuel. Supervisor: Jérôme Dokic.
French (mother tongue), English (fluent), Spanish (good).
Swiss National Science Foundation Consolidator Grant “The Metaphysics of Time and its Occupants” (5-year grant for a research professorship).
Swiss National Science Foundation grant for young researcher. Financed my stay at NYU, New York, as a visiting scholar. (Supervisor: Kit Fine. Academic year: 2001-2002).
Philibert Collart PhD grant (Geneva).
Management of research group
September 2007 –
In charge (with Kevin Mulligan) of the centre of metaphysics eidos.
Management of research projects
January 2016 – December 2019
H2020 Marie Curie Initial Training Network “Diaphora: Philosophical Problems, Resilience and Persistent Disagreement”, EC grant agreement 675415, hosted by the University of Barcelona, coordinator: Sven Rosenkranz. Involves 5 Neuchâtelian members. Budget: 482’754 euros.
August 2015 – July 2020
The Metaphysics of Time and its Occupants: Reconciling the Manifest Image and Contemporary Science, Swiss National Science Foundation Consolidator project, Neuchâtel (2015-2017) and Geneva (2017-2020). Involves 3 members. Budget: 1’250’533 Swiss Francs.
April 2015 – January 2019
Essences, Identities and Individuals, Swiss National Science Foundation project, Neuchâtel. Involves 1 member. Budget: 131’397 Swiss Francs.
December 2013 – November 2017
Grounding – Metaphysics, Science, and Logic, Swiss National Science Foundation “sinergia” project, Neuchâtel / Geneva / Hamburg. Involves 10 members. Budget: 1’062’249 Swiss Francs.
November 2013 – October 2016
The Nature of Existence: Neglected Questions at the Foundations of Ontology, Swiss National Science Foundation project, Neuchâtel / Geneva. Involves 4 members. Budget: 482’555 Swiss Francs.
September 2011 – July 2012 / September 2012 – August 2013
Essence and Metaphysical Grounds, Swiss National Science Foundation “professeur boursier” project (sequel to the Theory of Essence), Geneva, then Neuchâtel. Involves 1 member. Budget: 280’394 Swiss Francs.
January 2010 – December 2013
(with Kevin Mulligan.) FP7 Marie Curie Initial Training Network “Perspectival Thoughts and Facts (PETAF)”, EC grant agreement 238128, hosted by the University of Barcelona, coordinator: Sven Rosenkranz. Involves 5 Genevan members. Budget: 210’084 euros.
December 2009 – November 2010
Mentor within the Sciex-NMSch research project “Time and Modality: A Formal Perspective” (Fellow: Jacek Wawer, Jagiellonian University of Krakow), Geneva. Budget: 62’500 Swiss Francs.
October 2009 – September 2013
Intentionality as the Mark of the Mental – Metaphysical Perspectives on Contemporary Philosophy of Mind, Swiss National Science Foundation “sinergia” project, Geneva / Fribourg. Involves 11 members. Budget: 1’350’353 Swiss Francs.
September 2007 – August 2011
The Theory of Essence, Swiss National Science Foundation “professeur boursier” project, Geneva. Involves 3 members. Budget: 1’011’472 Swiss Francs.
Membership in professional societies
Member of the Academia Europaea since July 2019.
Member of the Bureau of the SOPHA (Société de Philosophie Analytique), 2009-2015.
Treasurer of the Swiss Society for Logic and Philosophy of Science, 2007-2018.
Co-editor (with Philipp Blum) of dialectica.
Panel member of Thought: A Journal of Philosophy.
Member of the editorial committee and of the consulting board of dialectica, Sept. 2007 – Nov. 2011.
Referee for: Analysis, American Philosophical Quarterly, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, Crítica (UNAM), dialectica, Dialogue, Erkenntnis, Journal of Philosophical Logic, Journal of Philosophical Research, Journal of Philosophy, Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logic, Logique et Analyse, Mind, Noûs, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophers’ Imprint, Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophical Studies, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Philosophy Compass, Repha, Review of Symbolic Logic, Sophia, Studia Logica, Synthese, Teoria, Theoria (Sweden), Theoria (Spain).
1. Jessica Leech (Universities of Geneva and Sheffield, co-supervisor: Bob Hale, viva: October 2011).
2. Amanda García (University of Geneva, viva: October 2012).
3. Johannes Stern (University of Geneva, co-supervisor: Karl-Georg Niebergall, viva: November 2012).
4. Akiko Frischhut (Universities of Geneva and Glasgow, co-supervisor: Fiona Macpherson, viva: January 2013).
5. Salim Hirèche (University of Geneva, viva: November 2016).
6. Jan Walker (University of Geneva, co-supervisor: Thomas Strahm, 2019).
7. Maria Scarpati (University of Neuchâtel, co-supervisor: Olivier Massin, 2019).
8. Pablo Carnino (University of Geneva, co-supervisor: Marcel Weber, 2019).
9. Jonas Werner (University of Hamburg, co-supervisor: Benjamin Schnieder, 2019).#
10. Dominik Aeschbacher (University of Geneva, co-supervisor: Benjamin Schnieder, 2015-).
11. Benjamin Neeser (University of Geneva, 2015-).
12. Vincent Grandjean (University of Neuchâtel, co-supervisor: Richard Glauser, 2016-).
13. Joshua Babic (University of Geneva, 2017-).
14. Léa Farine (University of Neuchâtel, co-supervisor: Thierry Herman, 2018-).
15. Valentina Luporini (University of Geneva and Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, co-supervisor: Mario Piazza, 2019).